Tools: Bring your own tools or just use mine.
Pace: We will work at a pace that is comfortable to you. Class will cover the full construction of a chair, but painting, due to drying times, will have to be finished in your shop. Check out the painting how-to to understand this final, yet important, step. Chair legs will be turned by me prior to class starting.
Each chair is a little different, but generally your week will look like this:
- Day 1 - Split out the green wood for spindles, arms, back, crest rail and bend the parts requiring it. From there, lots of spindle carving will ensue.
- Day 2 - More spindle carving then begin preparing the seat for carving (layout, drilling and reaming).
- Day3 - Seat carving and more layout, drilling and reaming. Begin assembly!
- Day 4 - Continue assembly of legs to seat and arms to seat. Get comfortable and begin fitting spindles.
- Day 5 - Final fitting and final assembly.
Amenities: The shop is air conditioned and heated with a wood stove. A kitchen and bathroom (with shower) are available for everyone. There is plenty of space to work with lots of windows to bring light inside. The timber frame shop provides a relaxed and comfortable place to build chairs.
Lunch will be provided. Enjoy home cooked meals or the occasional take out. Either way, you'll be properly fueled for a full day's work. Also, prepare to eat dessert with lunch - not everyone is accustomed to that.
Please call or email soon to get signed up. The limited spaces fill quickly.